The Fort and village Montecarlo was founded in 1333 by future Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV , who freed the nearby city of Lucca from Pisa city occupation. A true settlement, however, appeared only after the Florentine destroyed the nearby castle of Vivinaia, and the authorities of the Republic of Lucca moved the population to the hill where Charles’ castle was. Montecarlo was a possession of the Republic of Florence from 1437 and strategical control on the borders between Lucca, Florence and Pistoia.
The fortress of Montecarlo: today it is a private property, yet the owners open it to the public with an entrance fee and also guide their visitors.
Chiesa di Sant’Andrea – The Church was built in the 14th century. It dominates the village, as it is the highest building of it. This is the reason why from its foundation, it was forbidden to go up to the roof, for preventing from looking into the fortress. Just few traces of the original structure still stand, except for the crypt, because the church was rebuilt in 1783. Teatro dei Rassicurati Built in 1795 and restructured in 1894, it is today an architectural jewel embedded in the historical center. During the winter time it houses an Opera Festival and Giacomo Puccini was one of its most famous guests.
WINE MUSEUM, located inside the fifteenth century Palazzo Carmignani Lavagna and makes its facilities available for both: taste the wines of Montecarlo and Tuscany and take a step back in the history of agriculture and customs of the past hundred years enjoying with a fair representation of civilization and culture of wine. Thanks to the passion and the research by the managers and the availability and participation of some of the inhabitants of Montecarlo, in the old cellar with vaulted ceilings, are exposed many tools restored or preserved. The use of these objects is described in detail and whole exposure is accompanied by cards that describe most of the tools, along with vintage photos that, dated and localized, represent the real utilization. We then move to 5 panels, also with vintage photos dated and localized, witnessing the work and crafts of the past, telling us “The Way We Were”, from 1850 to the second World War. Also, three didactic collections enrich the exhibition: one with photos of the most common everyday objects and agricultural production, the second is a comprehensive collection of information on sharecropping, its origins, history and what he represented in the life of Italy, the third examines the grapes, its history and cultivation, the production of wine, the work of Cooper and the choice of woods, the history of the corkscrew
Half day (maximum 3 hours:) € 105 for 25 people and 2€ extra for each person
Individual and family rates (1-10 partecipants)
Half day (maximum 3 hours) €120